CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 03, 2009

I Want Spring!!!

This week has been a little crazy at work. I have worked Tues and Wed night and have to work Fri, Sat, and Sun. I don't really want to go in the next three nights because the first two nights were terrible. It started off with me writing down my patient's information and having a family member screaming at me because the call light had not been answered. I didn't know anything about it, but he felt the need to vent. We have this "wonderful" new system call Vocera and how it is "supposed" to work is that the call lights are supposed to go the nurse's aide and if they don't answer it, it goes to the nurse. Then if the nurse doesn't answer it, it goes to another nurse and the call system. Well, it doesn't always work that way. Several times, I have received a notice for the call light after I have already been in the room for about five minutes, turned the call light off, and returned to the desk. It's "real" efficient.

On Wednesday, I had another patient who was breathing fast and had a rapid heart rate. I called the doctor and she gave me an order for some medicine (a commonly used med) to slow her heart rate. So, I go to our pyxis (a big stupid machine that we pull our meds from) and we are supposed to be able to pull emergency meds (like this one) from there and send the order down later. So, I try to override this med (which starts with an "m") and it's not there. I cannot pull it quickly. I call pharmacy and they tell me in order for them to put it in so I can pull it, I have to send an order down. I reply with "you mean I can pull Miralax in an emergency but cannot pull this drug." I was so mad. Apparently to them, being constipated is considered an emergency but your high heart rate/blood pressure is not. Hmmm...priorities.

I want Spring to come. I'm tired of winter. We're supposedly supposed to get more snow this coming up week. What a wonderful Spring Break it is going to be for my nieces and nephews. I did have some flowers in my garden earlier in the week and I need to do some work there...it just has to get warm enough! Here is a pic I took of crocuses in my flower garden. I just get so excited for flowers! I need some warmth...and maybe a vacation!

1 additional thought(s):

Steven Adami said...

Poor lady couldn't poop. That *is* an emergency!