CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Forced to Move

Yesterday we had a meeting on our unit (Medical Oncology) about future staffing needs. We knew that this would be coming sometime because when we moved to the new tower, we had around 14 less beds than we did on our old floor. Since we moved, we have been floating to various floors to staff them. I would say that I floated about one of my three shifts per week. This was good because we still got to work.

Well, yesterday they told us that they are moving staff. Since our unit was the largest unit, we had the most staff and they are pulling 13 of us. 8 nurses and 5 aides. The other units are post-surgical, cardiac telemetry (CTU) and ortho/neuro. They have attempted in the past to post voluntary moves but no one accepted it because our unit is awesome and we don't want to leave it.

They told us that they will be taking volunteers until Friday at noon and then if there aren't enough volunteers, they will start filling positions starting by lowest seniority. Well, I'm number 2 or 3 from the bottom. One of the last people hired on our unit before the move. (I say 2 or 3 because another nurse started on the same day and I don't know how they would rank us.) So, it is inevitable that I would have to move, so I signed up for 12 hour night shift position on ortho/neuro.

The problem is that if anyone signs up for the same position with more seniority (which is practically everyone!) then I get bumped. I'm guessing I will get bumped to CTU which are part-time positions and 8 hour shifts. I do 12 hour shifts right now and it is nice because I only have to work 3 days a week. This is really nice considering it is a 40 minute drive to work. We should know by next week, what positions we have and they wanted us to start on those units by October 1st.

I feel really bad for the aides because all the positions are part time and two of the aides were really upset that they would have less hours. They kept reiterating that "at least there were no layoffs" like that would make us feel any better about the whole situation.

One of the nurses and I were talking yesterday and we were saying imagine what the other floors will be like with our staff. We say that because Med/Onc staff is like a family. We help each other. Rarely do you hear someone on our floor say "that isn't my job" like you do on other floors. We are a team and we act like it. It will be interesting to see how that attitude will be meshed with the other units.

So, yes, I am a little discouraged this morning. I know that what will happen is supposed to happen even though I may not understand the reasoning yet. It is still a little disheartening not to know your fate.

Photobucket

0 additional thought(s):